There’s an infamous building at 60 Andrássy Street, which houses the House of Terror Museum. Opened in 2002, it commemorates the eras and victims of two terror regimes in Hungary.
The address is an infamous one because in 1944 this was the nest of the Arrow Cross Party members, who tortured Jews, and then from ‘45 onwards it served as the headquarters of the communists, who tortured those who were deemed as the enemies of the communist regime. Not only were these people tortured in order to make a confession, but many of them were also killed.
The neo-renaissant building was renovated inside-out, and has become a monument. The black passepartout running around the facade with the caption ‘Terror’ makes the building stand out of its surroundings and at the same time, the building still befits the adjacent houses.