The second-longest bridge in the country is Megyeri-bridge in Northern-Pest, has a length of 1862 meters and was opened in 2008.
The best-known part is 591 meters long, stretches above the Big-Danube-branch, and it’s deck was built of 12-meter long prefabricated steel elements. Its highest point at the pillars reaches 120 meters. The two pillars form letters ‘A’, whose upper third can be visited: there’s a glass visitor’s center. The legs of the pillars are cavernal, their wall depth is 1 meter at the bottom and it decreases upwards until 0.4 m. A vote was started on the Internet to designate the bridge, and for a while the name Chuck Norris was in leading position. Stephen Colbert, the American comedian learned this and he advocated the bridge in his show. In the end, the name Megyeri-bridge won and got into public knowledge, referring to the fact that it connects Békásmegyer and Káposztásmegyer, two regions in Pest.
Liberty Bridge – formerly called Franz Joseph Bridge – was built btw 1894-1896 based on the plans of János Feketeházy.
The bridge, spanning over the Danube from the Gellért Hill in Buda to Market Hall (Vásárcsarnok) in the Pest side, is the shortest one among the bridges in Budapest. A special feature of the bridge is its double gate-like element reminiscent of lace decorations of Gothic towers, only these forms are cast in iron. 1.5 years after the bridge was opened, a tram line was started that crosses it. The bridge was ruined during World War II and was reconstructed in its original form already in 1946, and then it was renovated during 2007-2008.
Elizabeth chain bridge testifies a unique achievement by Hungarian bridge engineers and industry.
For quite a while this was the only bridge to cross the river with a centre span of 290 meters without having pylons at the bottom of the river. The bridge was exploded by retreating German troops during World War II, just like all the other bridges over the Danube. This was the last one to be reconstructed (between 1961-64), based on the plans of Pál Sávoly, who dreamt a bridge with a modern shape, using the original pillars. From the Pest direction, the bridge “runs” into the side of Gellért Hill, where a small waterfall offers a refreshing sight, especially in the summer, when it’s green all around. In 2009 the bridge was equipped with decorative lighting. The special led lighting was designed by a Japanese architect, whose basic concept was to make the bridge look as white at night as in daylight. Nearly half the cost was covered by Japanese businessmen to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the two countries renewing their diplomatic relations.
Margaret Bridge connects Szent Stephen’s boulevard in Pest and Margaret boulevard in the Buda side over the Danube touching the wonderful Margaret island.
You could only get to the island in a boat until a side bridge connected the island and the bridge (in 1900). The bridge – just like all the bridges in Budapest – was exploded during World War II. It was rebuilt and opened in 1948. Though it was later renovated, reconstruction works of a greater volume were carried out between 2009-2011, when a lane for bikers was also separated. The bridge received a fascinatig lighting, and the pedestrian underpass at the Buda end was given an exquisite look with a glazed tile covering.
Chain-Bridge, or officially Széchenyi Chain-Bridge, was named after the famous statesman Earl István Széchenyi, who initiated and supported the construction of this bridge over the River Danube.
He participated in its construction so actively that he himself fell into the river in an accident. This bridge was the first permanent bridge over the Danube south of Regensburg. The work began in 1839 and the bridge was inaugurated ten years later in 1849. Adam Clark lead the construction works based on William Tierney Clarks’s plans. The bridge was exploded during World War II, but its reconstruction was finished by the centennial anniversary. Chain-Bridge has become a major symbol of Budapest, it has also been imprinted on coins, such as the silver 200-HUF coin, which has been withdrawn by today. Every summer it is closed down from car traffic for one or two weekends, when pedestrians and various vendors selling handicrafts are allowed to take over the bridge.