Liberty Bridge – formerly called Franz Joseph Bridge – was built btw 1894-1896 based on the plans of János Feketeházy.
The bridge, spanning over the Danube from the Gellért Hill in Buda to Market Hall (Vásárcsarnok) in the Pest side, is the shortest one among the bridges in Budapest. A special feature of the bridge is its double gate-like element reminiscent of lace decorations of Gothic towers, only these forms are cast in iron. 1.5 years after the bridge was opened, a tram line was started that crosses it. The bridge was ruined during World War II and was reconstructed in its original form already in 1946, and then it was renovated during 2007-2008.